Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Gerrit Chronicles

Huh???

A little story from Gerrit.

Upon picking Gerrit up from kinder this afternoon, I received a great big hug and then he couldn't wait to tell me something.

"What?" I asked.

"Mama, the Schlange ist kaputt."

"Huh?

The snake is broken? My immediate thought was that they had a classroom snake pet that died. But no... they don't so was Gerrit talking about a pretend snake or did he mean something else? I decided to ask one of his teachers. I called her over and had Gerrit repeat his sentence. She shrugged her shoulders and had no clue what he was talking about either. At this age, it's difficult for me to decipher whether Gerrit's stories are always real or sometimes fantasy. So we headed out the door.

"Mama, come see. Come look. The Schlange ist kaputt."

"Okay," I say, wondering what I'm in store for.

Gerrit leads me to the side of the school building and points to the ground.

"See... the baby Schlange... it's kaputt. It's broken."

Oh!!!! Now I get it.

"Oh, Gerrit, you mean Schnecke. Die Schnecke ist kaputt. In fact, die Schnecke ist gestorben."

At our feet, lies a sad-looking crushed little snail. Gerrit has always confused the word for snail and snake, even in English.

"Irem step on it. We need to call the doctor to fix it."

(Irem is his little partner at school. A few years older than him. The youngest kids are assigned older ones to look out for them and help them complete various tasks, hold their hands on field trips, etc. Gerrit and Irem often play together at recess.)

"Hmm... I'm not sure the doctor can help this little snail, Gerrit. I think Irem should just be careful next time. Maybe you should just tell Irem, 'Das ist nicht nett, Irem'... and maybe she won't do it again."

As we walked away from the kindergarten, Gerrit recited, "Yeah, das ist nicht nett, Irem. You don't step on the snail. That's not nice."

We'll see how that goes over if he actually remembers to say that tomorrow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Another Cute Gerrit Moment

Just put the boys down. Read a great little story I picked up for 50 cents from the Flea Market called "I Love You All Day Long." It's about a little pig who doesn't want to go to kindergarten/school, etc. (it's purposely vague).

The piglet asks, "Mommy, do I have to go today?"

She responds, "Yes, you have to go today" as she's packing up his lunch.

"But Momma, you won't be with me."

She reassures, "You're right. I won't be with you, but you should remember this... I love you when we're together.... and I love you when we're apart."

The story goes on to have mom explain several circumstances in which she still loves her child- examples of things he does when they are together and apart... examples of him being generous, naughty, sad, happy, and nice. And of course, under all circumstances she still loves him and reminds him, "I love you all day long."

Gerrit has obviously taken a liking to this book and has asked for it to be read to him several nights this week. I think part of this stems from a phase he's going through where he wakes up each morning and informs me that "he's not going to kindergarten today." We still end up going to kindergarten of course, but this phrase has become a morning ritual lately.

He has also been asking if daddy and I love him. I explain that just like the book we both love him under all circumstances. I then go on to provide examples for him and then end with, "Remember, we love you all day long."

We then closed the book and turned off the lights for bed.

And then... a moment that all parents treasure.

Gerrit gave me a big contented hug and said, "Momma, I love you all day long."

My heart melted.

2 Comments:

At May 13, 2009 at 1:40 PM , Blogger Adrienne said...

So sweet.

When do you, as a parent, stop blubbering when you read your child a bedtime story? Or am I just reading the wrong ones?

 
At May 13, 2009 at 2:20 PM , Blogger sharra said...

it helps when they go through 30 minutes of tantrums before bedtime to relish putting them to bed.
lol
or maybe i'm not reading the RIGHT stories!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home