Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sunday in Munich

Willem's first outing meant keeping
him warm and wrapped inside my coat

Headed into Munich this afternoon, after getting the "okay" from the midwife that Willem and I were healthy enough for such an outing. We had hoped to show mom around town a bit and do a few museums, but the day didn't turn out the way we had hoped. First off, there has been a train strike in recent weeks and there have been several days where the train lines have been running on very limited service. Today may have been one of those days because it seemed to take an extremely long time for the trains to arrive in Neufahrn today and to get into town. I know that Sundays schedule is a bit different, but I think this was more than that because everything took much much longer to get into town than usual. I always say we live out in the sticks, and boy, today it really REALLY felt like it, too.
Gerrit and Gerard playing on the train ride.

Leaving the house today took forever. I wasn't prepared with a bag like I usually am, so I had to repack various items for both boys now, including diapers, changes of clothes, warm hats & jackets, and some food & toys for Gerrit. Then I decided I wanted to try wearing Willem in the sling or wrap, but since I have been only using these things with Gerrit lately, it took a bit of work to figure out how to use them with a newborn. I'm sure it will come back to me in time, but today it seemed to take forever to leave the house. Thank goodness mom was here to help. I have no clue at this point how I'd navigate such an outing with the two boys myself.
Halloween Costume Shop in the Train Station (Interesting, considering they don't really celebrate Halloween)

When we finally got to Marienplatz I felt like I needed to feed Willem so we sat down and ate a late lunch/early dinner near the Glockenspiel (a huge clock tower that chimes with figures that dance around a few times a day). Mom finally got a more traditional German meal that she actually liked- bratwurst and mashed potatoes. After eating, we went to a Teddy Bear/Toy Museum for Gerrit. By then, Gerrit was about done for the day and didn't seem too interested, so we headed home.
In front of the Rathaus & Glockenspiel
Gerrit finds the trains at the Toy Museum

Gerrit loves having his grandma here to play with. She makes him laugh all the time, and I really enjoy seeing them interact. Gerrit's vocabulary seems to continue coming along nicely. He is definitely imitating a lot of words and trying to communicate his ideas more through language. He still babbles quite a bit, but each day there are more and more real words in the mix. His latest phrase is, "I'm gonna get you" as he chases the dogs around to tickle them.
Gerrit loves his grandma.

2 Comments:

At October 29, 2007 at 8:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

VERY strange to see the Halloween costumes. The closest you can come to Halloween in Germany is Fasching, though while masks are used, the intent of the holiday is very different.

I envy you guys eating in the square by the Glockenspiel!

 
At October 29, 2007 at 7:55 PM , Blogger jill said...

Steph, I am so late!! CONGRATULATIONS on your newest little one. He is precious, and I hope you are loving every minute of it. My boys have a ball together. Enjoy! Love, jill

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home