Sunday, May 24, 2009

Christi Himmelfahrt Weekend

Thursday was a public holiday in Germany- Christi Himmelfahrt. Himmel means "heaven" and fahrt means "travel." It is basically the same as Ascension Day (Jesus' ascension into heaven 4o days after Easter). Yes, yes, fahrt (pronounced FART here) leaves me a bit giggly, too. Can't help that I'm American. Whenever I pay for parking at the airport and the sign wishes me a "Gute Fahrt" (a good trip), I still have to keep myself from snickering. You'd think that as often as I see variations of that word, such as "Ausfahrt" (an exit off the autobahn), I'd be immune to it by now, but no... I'm guess I'm still an immature 12 year old at heart.

Since many businesses and schools were closed on both Thursday and Friday, we had a nice long family weekend together. Thursday the boys painted some pots for me as a belated Mother's Day gift. We will plant garlic and oregano in them. Later we rode the bikes over to the duck pond near our house. Friday Gerard took the boys to the Deutsches Museum for a "Boys' Day Out" while I got a haircut. Here are some pictures of our weekend.

The boys have fun painting their pots.

Ready to ride to the duck pond.


Jake and Niki riding with me to the pond.

Hanging out at the duck pond.

FRIDAY AT THE DEUTCHES MUSEUM

Posing in front of a printing press.
The boys discovering the wonders of animated Lego sets.

Gerrit is telling daddy to pose so he can take his picture.

Let's break for some joke time.
"So, Willem, this guy walks into a bar..."

My Three Handsome Boys

The boys got lollipops for being so well-behaved during their haircuts.
Here, Gerrit is telling Willem to lick the lollipop, not bite it.


I think all Willem heard was the word "bite."


Gerrit shows off his cooking talents.

1 Comments:

At May 26, 2009 at 6:19 PM , Blogger Yeager Family said...

I would TOTALLY laugh everytime I heard the fart word! I love looking at the photos and videos of life overseas.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home