Friday, August 7, 2009

No Posts for a While


While in L.A., I had an experience that had me questioning whether or not I should continue my blog. Whether they held any value for anyone other than me. I had a conversation with a friend and it got me to thinking about my life right now and what it has become. Without going into the sorted details of the exchange, I will just simply state that it was brought to my attention that I was no longer the person that this person knew in L.A. and that I had changed and not in a desirable way. And that this change was evident in my blog entries.

I tend to share my experience here with my family and friends through this blog. The funny and sad experiences, the ones that make you slap your forehead and say, "Oh Duh," and the mundane. For those who care enough to read my blog and want to hear things about my life here- well, folks, that's the silly and mundane are also part of it.

Yes, I am different. Yes, a lot in my life has changed. I now have two (almost three) kids. Circumstances have brought us to Germany, and while I find it a struggle and did not want to come, I am trying to be supportive of my husband and also make the best of it here. Though not easy, I do feel the experience is enriching our lives and certainly given *me* an empathy for my second language students and their families that I did not have before. Gerard and I struggled immensely with the transition here and our relationship, but we seem to be on a better path. Though I was not ready to quit work and be at home full-time (and I still desperately miss teaching), I also know that it took a forced move like this to have me home for a while. It is time with the kids that I know in the long run I will not regret having.

So yes, I have changed. I no longer talk about my teaching work on a daily basis. My day to day struggles are now with German culture, language, and raising my kids in a foreign country. My blogs at the beginning were more about getting settled, and now yes, they are more mundane. This is where I am in my life right now and if I hadn't changed at all, that would seem unnatural. So the blog doesn't have to hold any value for anyone other than me. It's out there and if anyone else happens to get anything from it, that's great, too. I find value in it and will hopefully look back to this as a time in my life I wish to recall, for better or worse.

8 Comments:

At August 7, 2009 at 9:41 AM , Blogger wee said...

interesting...

i think you should continue to blog and it should be about whatever you what to blog about.

blogging is a way to get out your feelings as well as communicate to others. i believe that if people like to read blogs, they understand that they will read about all aspects of life.

life changes. people need to get over it.

 
At August 7, 2009 at 11:43 AM , Blogger April said...

I like your blog :( Change is a good thing...some people just get upset when you change and they're left behind. Write whatever you want, you make me laugh!

 
At August 7, 2009 at 8:38 PM , Blogger Yeager Family said...

I love to see your posts and though I may not be in a different country I feel misplaced as a city girl in a very rural town. Mundane. No problems with English here, but mundane nonetheless. I just use my blog to bitch and talk about stupid little things that make me laugh. That's all I have right now and you may just be in the same boat - but yours may be a lot harder to row, my friend :) Blog on...

 
At August 11, 2009 at 6:59 PM , Blogger sharra said...

Blogs are ultimately for yourself, not others. If someone used it to be hurtful to you, screw 'em! They obviously are not that important and you need to stop putting stock into what random people say/think/write about you. True friends/family enjoy the mundane. The mundane is where real life happens.

 
At August 11, 2009 at 6:59 PM , Blogger sharra said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At August 19, 2009 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Sherry said...

I look at my blog as a family history, and if others want to read it, great. If not, at least I have what is important to me out there. I enjoy your blog a great deal. I have some of the same mundane-ness in my life. I think it is a big part of being a parent to kids the agges that you and I both have. Mundane to us and other adults equals stability to our wee ones. Blog on!

 
At August 31, 2009 at 2:28 PM , Blogger Gerb said...

It's your blog. This means you write what you want. If someone else doesn't like what you're writing, you're not holding a gun to their head and forcing them to read it. PERIOD. Keep blogging - I enjoy reading about your experiences.

 
At October 6, 2009 at 3:18 PM , Blogger rbfort said...

If they don't like what they read, tell 'em not to read it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home